Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Happy New Year!!

What a cliche title..

Though to my credit, I sit here writing 11 minutes until 2009.

On one hand, it is encouraging to me that Dick Clark is still trying even after his stroke. There isn't much that is more inspirational than fighting through a stroke. But on the other hand, it is downright depressing, as I remember what Dick Clark used to sound like.

Hence, I've put Bobby McFerrin's "Don't Worry, Be Happy" on as a way of bringing in the new year on a positive note.

Because, if you start to think about this past year too much.. it was pretty darn bad. The economy took a nose dive off the deep end, thousands of American men and women are spending this new year in deserts around the world, the idiots in Washington have decided to bail out flailing poorly managed companies (BTW.. this is what Chapter 11 was designed for, not a Government bailout), and "our savior" is Barack Obama.

To me this sounds like recipe for disaster. And on a personal note, this past year wasn't fantastic on many different levels. But there are just three minutes left in this year, and it is time to start anew..

As I watch the Jonas Brothers, Lionel Richie and Ryan Seacrest count down my way to the new year, I can't help but think that I am so glad I'm not out in the cold with them tonight.. lol.. It looks freezing and Bill and Hillary Clinton have started the ball on its drop, how horrible..

Nonetheless, Dick Clark has an intoxicating smile... And his countdown.. how classic.

3..2..1..

Happy New Year!!!

And like a miracle from on high Auld Lang Syne comes pouring in. I just can't help but smile.

But I have accomplished my goal in staying up till 2009. So for tonight I think it is time to get some sleep, so that I can watch the parade of Roses and eat lots of Hoppin John tomorrow.

Best of luck to you all in 2009. May all your wishes come true.

No comments: