Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Science.. If you wanted to call it that

I was on my way to bed and had just popped two Advil PM's but first I felt inspired to put a little piece of information out on the interwebs (albeit one which is incredibly well documented).

Sometimes it is odd being an engineer (even a half baked one like me). We tend to take an interest in the obscure as though it were a ritualistic enterprise.

That being said, and after this thoroughly awkward and long winded introduction I present to you.. the glass of ice cold Pepsi sitting on my desk.

Don't be fooled now. This is no ordinary glass of Pepsi. Take a closer look..
(At this point you are presented with an approximately 8 inch tall glass filled three quarters of the way with Pepsi cola [born in New Bern, NC] and ice).

End of story.. That is of course assuming that you are a normal individual.

I on the overhand, am staring not at the semi brown caffeinated liquid but at the transparent one on the outer orifices of the glass.

The casual observer would go.. OK miracle man, you've discovered Condensation.. What's the deal?

The deal is the miracle that is condensation..

First you have to have water vapor in the air. An odd thought at first, but when you think about a humid afternoon it begins to make more sense that we are not simply breathing in hydrogen and oxygen but a myriad of other gaseous substances.

These vaporous water molecules must then pass by the cooled glass (which must remain below the dew point of water) and condense into liquid against the surface.

The massive collection of these now liquid molecules is what we see on the glass as liquid water.

Amazing right..

OK, maybe I am the only one who finds this remarkable in any way shape or form. But I will simply attribute this to my highly documented craziness and socially unacceptable behavior -- allowing me a peaceful night's sleep under a blanket of radiant Sufjan Stevens melodies.

No comments: