Sunday, October 26, 2008

Airports

I openly admit to being a strange individual on some things. If you know me well, then you're probably aware that I have a not so secret love affair with aviation. There is just something about the nature of flight and the aura around it. Yes, the 21st century economy has taken a hard hit on the world's airlines.. but.. flight is still sexy.

Today, October 26th, Raleigh Durham International Airport opened a brand new terminal, Terminal 2. Coincidentally (and no I seriously didn't plan it this way, its just how it worked out), I left on one of the first flights out of the new terminal this morning at 7 AM.

The space? grand.. emaculate.. polished.. The only comparison I can make is Terminal 2 at Charles de Gaulle if you've ever been there (Also, maybe... the AA Terminal at Kennedy and Heathrow T5 (although I haven't been to the latter yet.. but from what I've heard)). They had filed everything to perfection, and I (who am actually quite hard to impress), was in awe. Also, the idea of being the first person to sit down in a chair (in a public space) has this strange sort of resonance to it. I can't really describe the feeling, but looking down at the brand new leather chair I was sitting in; all I could think about is the vast number of people that will occupy the chair after me, how many thousands of people will sit in the same place where I sat first. I guess it was just one of those strange surreal moments in life that you should simply accept and not dwell upon too much.

I'm not sure if I really have a point with this post but to point out one of my strange quirks. But I thought I would share a couple pictures I took far too early this morning while walking down the concourse.

I ended up sitting in about 12 different chairs just for the hell of it. lol.

1 comment:

Lena said...

You are not the only one with an airport love affair. I believe this is highlighted by the fact that I speak of cities by their airport code...